Thursday, November 19, 2015

Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Mother - Review

Kat von D released a whole slew of new shades for her Everlasting Liquid Lipstick line earlier this year. This formula is hands down my favorite liquid lipstick formula (as evidenced by prior reviews of Double Dare, Bown n Arrow, Bauhau5, and Berlin), so I snatched up a bunch of shades. Mother is one of the new releases, and in the teaser pictures that were out for MONTHS, it was referred to as 'Selektion,' which was then changed for obvious PR reasons. (If you aren't aware, it's a term used by Nazi Germany. Name change is fully understandable when put in that context.) But I digress.



Mother is listed as a dusty mauve pink. This shade is a cooler leaning pink, with a hint of dustiness. It's still quite a bright shade. Personally, I'm not a fan of how I look in cooler lip colors, even though my skintone is somewhat neutral (leaning a little warm.) So I'm torn on whether or not I dig this shade (on me, personally. On others, it looks great!) The formula is just like all of the others, a slightly creamy liquid. It applies smoothly and easily using the doefoot applicator attached to the lid. The scent is a slightly paint-like lipstick scent, nothing offensive and it fades right away. This shade is a bit less pigmented than others in the line, and I needed two coats to get a solid color on my lips. The lipstick dried quickly, in about a minute. However, I was able to add my second coat with no problems, which is nice.

I am a fan of this formula because it usually isn't overly drying, when paired with a lip primer. However, Mother dried out my lips. I did wear it with a lip primer, and a new one at that - the Colourpop lip primer. I normally use MAC Prep and Prime Lip, and I wondered if it was the primer not being up to my high standards, but I have worn other liquid lipsticks with the Colourpop primer with no problems, so I am resigning to the fact that Mother was just more drying. Additionally, Mother settled into lip lines and cracks on my lips, meaning I had to reapply to get it to stay looking good. On the flip side, no transfer or bleeding/feathering, as expected from the Kat von D formula.

I mentioned it earlier - I'm torn on Mother. First it was just the shade not being my usual thing (I'm sure if I wore cooler tones more often I wouldn't mind it!) but the additional shortcomings of this shade compared to others in the line leaves me feeling a bit lukewarm towards it.

Pros:
  • No bleeding/feathering
  • Dries quickly
  • Does not transfer
  • Scent dissipates quickly
  • Smooth application
Cons:
  • Drying, even paired with a lip primer
  • Settles into cracks and lines
  • Not opaque with one coat
Kat von D Everlasting Liquid Lipstick in Mother - $20.00 for 0.22 oz
Review - 2.5/5

1 comment:

  1. https://www.reddit.com/r/AskWomen/comments/8qekor/with_the_kat_von_d_news_ugh_can_anyone_suggest_a/?sort=top

    ReplyDelete