Friday, December 30, 2016

December Sephora Play! Box

Thankfully, this month's box got to me on time! December's theme is "The Partygoers," and contains products to get you through the holiday party season. There were some yay and some nay things in here for me this month, but overall it wasn't a disappointment.




Elizabeth and James Nirvana Rose - This is a first, a perfume sample I was actually excited to get! There are a couple new Nirvana scents, and since I dig Nirvana White, I was excited to receive Rose in the box. The listed notes are "a seductive floral blend embodying the heart of a dark rose with notes of rose de mai, geranium, and vetiver."  Trying it on, the scent of rose is definitely there, but it isn't the bright old lady rose scent I'm accustomed to in perfumes. There's a sharp note I don't like though, so I don't think I'll be wearing this. The sample is 0.07 fl oz, with a full size available at $65 for 1 fl oz. (There's also a $25/0.34 fl oz rollerball.)

Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray - I'm a fan of UD's setting sprays, but I usually reach for De-Slick. I've used All Nighter in the past, and it's kept my makeup on! I wouldn't say for 16 hours like the product claims, but that's because I'm oily and I feel that breaks my makeup down faster. I'm always happy to get minis of things like setting sprays, because they get used consistently and having a backup is always welcome. The mini bottle is 0.5 fl oz, and  a full size is $31 for 4 fl oz. (Is it just me or did they raise the price a dollar recently? I swore it used to be $30...)

Lancôme HYPNÔSE DRAMA Instant Full Body Volume Mascara - I am torn on this mascara. For me, it lengthens and separates and makes my lashes look goooood. It also flakes like crazy, and sometimes smudges on my lower lashes. For this reason, I have never purchased a full size, but used minis as I get them. I'm not upset that I got this mascara in the box, but I was reminded how it flakes on me the first time I wore it. The mini is 0.135 fl oz, and a full tube is 0.22 fl oz for $27.50.

Drybar Detox Dry Shampoo - I actually have a not quite mini, not quite full size bottle of this as we speak! I like this well enough, but I don't feel like it blows my usual Batiste spray out of the water (at least not enough to spring for the full size!) I can use this after one day of not washing, but after that, it doesn't combat the grossness of my hair enough to be very effective. I've tried a few Drybar products now, and none of them have WOWed me. I like the theme with the naming, and it keeps me coming back... The mini bottle is 0.8 oz, and a full size is $23 for 3.5 oz.

Make Up For Ever Step 1 Skin Equalizing Smoothing Primer - This was another one of my nay products this month, as I've already given this primer a try and didn't really like it. The primer smooths on decently, and does make pores look smaller, but I don't like how my foundation looks over it. I find that unless you use the smallest, thinnest, most even layer possible (which may not get my pores looking good!) the foundation will look patchy on top. Just a pass for me on this one. The mini contains 0.16 fl oz, and a full size is $37 for 1.0 fl oz.

Sephora Collection Cream Lip Stain in 01 Always Red - The curators did well in choosing a shade this month! I'm not a huge wearer of red lipstick (they feel like more upkeep to me) but this shade seems pretty flattering for most! I get why they picked red though, it's a staple holiday party shade. The lipstick applied smoothly, and did not really emphasize any lip lines. I didn't find it overly drying, but I did pair it with a lip primer. I noticed no bleeding or feathering, but I also wore it to a party and wasn't overly concerned as the night went on. Also, it's super convenient that they included a mini of this formula just before they drop a huge shade expansion. The mini has 0.04 fl oz, and a full size is $14 for 0.169 fl oz.

No comments:

Post a Comment