Tuesday, February 6, 2018

Why I'm Hardcore Destashing, & Recently Destashed Products

As apart of my Reverse Rouge challenge for the year, and in general, I try to destash a lot of my beauty products that I am no longer in love with. I try to do a lot of destashing by rehoming my products, because sometimes trashing them just doesn't feel right - especially easily sanitized powder products and tube lipsticks. Over the past few months I've done a lot of destashing, but really gone into high gear lately with finding more outlets to just get things out of my house.

I first started destashing and rehoming my makeup on the Makeup Exchange subreddit. It's a great place, because it's all fellow beauty addicts looking for limited edition or gently used makeup items. It's also a great place to put out some feelers for any "white whale" products you may have.

I've had a lot of success destashing my lightly used items on Mercari. My listings are here, in case you're interested in anything I'm looking to find a better home for! The best part is, Mercari can be used for all sorts of things, not just beauty items. It also makes the process extremely easy for buyers and sellers. (I promise I am saying all of this of my own volition!)

At this point, I have so much stuff that I'm not really trying to get most of my money back - just trying to unload a lot of my products. Here's a quick rundown of products I've fallen out of love with, and why I'm destashing them.



1. Midrange Eyeshadows:


I'm not sure what I own more of - eyeshadow or lipstick. But eyeshadow is definitely one of the top two - especially midrange items. I am a sucker for every hyped palette and flavor of the week single shadows. So when my collection starts to meet critical mass, I destash. I have a lot of neutral palettes I don't reach for that are perfectly decent products (such as the pictured MAC Nordstrom Naturals palette) so I've tried to find them better homes where they will get the use that they deserve. 

2. Drugstore Products:


I am a big impulse purchaser of drugstore items, namely because 1 or 2 products under $10 don't seem like much, right? But they add up, in cost and in space they take up in my house. I use them one or two times and usually move on to something else. (Sometimes there's a real gem that I continue using, so it isn't all bad!) Drugstore products are hard to destash sometimes, namely because they're already cheap, so why not buy new? I tend to group a bunch of items into a lot and sell them for $10-$15, so the buyer gets a bunch of goodies and I get some drawer space back.

3. Colourpop:


Colourpop is my new favorite impulse buy brand - every item is usually decent quality, under $10 (usually $5 and under!) and they have CONSTANT releases. But six months later, I have a bunch of stuff I swatched or wore once and forgot about. I'm also not a huge fan of their matte liquid lip formula, so a lot of my Colourpop destash pile are matte liquid lips I wasn't thrilled with. Due to the fact that Colourpop is constantly releasing and discontinuing shades, there are always people looking for an older shade that they can't get ahold of anymore willing to take mine. I usually bundle a few of these for under $10.

4. MAC lipsticks:


MAC lipsticks were my gateway into midrange makeup. Somewhat affordable at under $20, and always coming out with new releases, they were really easy to start collecting. Unfortunately, there are better formulas I like, so my MAC lipsticks were forgotten. Thankfully, there are always people looking to try MAC, or get a shade that was limited edition or discontinued, so getting rid of these is never a problem. I think out of my 15+ MAC shades I had at one point, I am keeping two. And one of those I am iffy on.

I'm really trying to be more conscious of what I buy, and seeing my growing destash pile is a big reminder. I only get a fraction of the money I spent back when I re-sell items, so it's much smarter to carefully think out a purchase instead of just swiping my card and thinking about it later. I'm happy that I am not just throwing items away - though I have done a bit of that as well. Hopefully I'll be happy with all of the products I own soon, so I won't have to keep buying padded envelopes for shipping!


No comments:

Post a Comment