Monday, October 29, 2018

Function of Beauty - Thoughts On My First Order

I've always been "meh" on haircare, and I've decided to start trying a little harder when it comes to my hair. I recently switched to sulfate free shampoo and conditioner, mostly because I got a lot of rose gold highlights put in my hair earlier this year and I wanted to keep them looking nice. (Meanwhile, I still blast the hell out of it with my heavy duty hair dryer. Baby steps.)

On Instagram, one of the people I love to follow, Lena, started posting about Function of Beauty - a personalized shampoo and conditioner service. I watched as she got her order, started using it, and then read her rave reviews, so I decided to try it as well! 


Function of Beauty offers personalized haircare - you pick and choose what you want in your shampoo and conditioner.  When starting, you do a "hair quiz" that asks about your hair - straight or curly, thick or fine, etc. Then, you select five hair goals - these are all the specific ingredients you're adding to your custom hair cocktail. Here is everything that I specified in my hair quiz:
  • Hair Type
    • Wavy (my hair is barely wavy, but I wanted to see if I could emphasize the slight wave that I do have.)
    • Fine (I have super fine hair, it really sucks and I hate it.)
    • Oily (They tell you not to shampoo daily and I'm like why do you want me to look like I haven't showered in a week?)
  • Hair Goals
    • Volumize (If I don't do anything with my hair it is so so flat.)
    • Color Protection (Salon color ain't cheap!)
    • Thermal Protection (See aforementioned hair dryer comment.)
    • Shine (why not?)
    • Anti-Frizz (I figured it couldn't hurt.)
Another facet of your customization is scent and color. My favorite color is green, so I went with that - you can see the lovely jade/mint combo I wound up with! For scent, I went with "feeling (f)ineapple" (their most popular!) which is a coconut/pineapple combo. You can also choose how strong the scent is, I went with medium. (FYI they also have a fragrance free option for those who can't do fragrance.)

After submitting my order, it took about a week and a half to ship out and get to me. I also had to reach out to customer service due to my $5 coupon not being applied - they replied promptly and refunded me, so nothing but good things to say about their CS!

I've been using my custom products for about three months now, and I really like them. My hair looks and feels healthy, even when I try to fry it with my dryer. It's been hit or miss for me with sulfate free options, as they've either weighed my hair down or just didn't make my hair feel clean. My hair feels clean and light after shampooing. When I air dry, I don't really get much wave definition - I may swap out shine for curl definition in my hair goals next time. I LOVE the scent, I'm waffling between trying their peach or pistachio next. I'll definitely be switching to the strong fragrance option to see if it sticks around in my hair longer.

My two 8oz bottles came to $36. Next time, I think I'll order an 8oz shampoo and a larger conditioner - I find I use more conditioner as I have longer hair. I'm really happy I gave this a try. It's a little pricy, but I feel like my hair is healthier and looks better. If you'd like to try Function of Beauty and get $5 off, you can use my referral link. If you use this link, you'll get $5 off your first order, and I'll get $5 towards my next order!

1 comment:

  1. Menyambut Perayaan Natal 2019 & Tahun Baru 2020
    S1288Poker Memberikan Bonus Cashback Hingga Rp 50.000,- Untuk 100 Member Baru
    Ikut Syarat dan Ketentuan yang berlaku dan Claim Bonus Natal 2019 & Tahun Baru 2020
    Sekarang Juga : (Baca Selengkapnya Disini...)

    ReplyDelete