Monday, January 15, 2018

2017 Favorites - New Releases

This is the first of two posts containing all of my favorite products from 2017! I did a poll on my Instagram asking what type of favorites posts were more enjoyable - new favorite products or tried and true favorites that got a lot of use that month. (I try to do a mix of both, but sometimes I don't buy anything new!) The result was pretty split, so I decided to do one post of new new products, and one post of new to me items to sum up my 2017. This post is all about my favorite products that were released in 2017.



I'm just going to try and recall the order in which I bought these. First up is the NARS Pore & Shine Control Primer! I loved this so much, it came out early in the year and I'm already over halfway done with my second tube. I find that this plays well over my sunscreen, and works with most of my foundations. I find that it really became an integral part of my oil control base routine. I've really ignored my other oil control primers since getting this one, and I recommend it to everyone looking for a new mattifying primer.

I really love Bite Beauty, and their new lip pencil was no exception. I currently have two shades - 022 (a deluxe mini) and 028. Both shades match a ton of my lipsticks (because I really do have 50 of the same shade in different formulas...) and they are comfortable and apply with no dragging or skipping. I also apply just the liner alone and top with a gloss to add some depth. The only thing I don't like about these is that they need to be sharpened - I hate the idea of wasting product to the sharpener!

I made my first Glossier order this year, and in that order was their highly rated Cloud Paint. I fell in love with this cream blush. I have the shade Dusk - a neutral rosy color. I can either apply this sheerly or build it up, and it still doesn't look overly garish. I know some people have issues with the color fading, but I haven't experienced this. I've also found that I don't need a ton of product to get a nice flush. I want to try other shades, but Dusk is just so perfect for everyday use.

It's a tie between lipstick and eyeshadow (also glitter) for my favorite makeup item. I own a ton of both. This year, I fell in love with the Hourglass GIRL Lip Stylo, and wound up with two! Pictured is a mini in the shade Peacemaker, but I also have a lovely pink shade (of course) named Inventor. I love the theme of the collection (all things that girls/women are and can be) and the formula itself is really nice. The lipstick is light and hydrating yet still pigmented. It doesn't have the best longevity, but it is easy to reapply. As always with Hourglass, the packaging is luxe yet very functional. I look forward to picking out another shade soon, though they came out with another formula I haven't had a chance to try yet.

I'm a recent highlighter addict, but when I fall, I fall hard. My favorite new highlighter release this year were the Becca Light Chaser highlighters. I picked up two shades - Champagne Flashes Bellini and Opal Flashes Jade (which is pictured.) I really loved these highlighters because of their duochrome shift - they offered something a little more than most of the other highlighters on the market. I'm also not a fan of most of the straight blue/purple/green highlighters out there, and Opal Flashes Jade offers a wearable green shift that is appropriate for an office setting. (Not that my makeup is usually office appropriate for a normal office, but still.) These were some of the most unique products of the year (to me!) and I'm glad I got ahold of them.

I was super excited to try this next product, because the brand reached out to me about it! The belif Moisturizing Eye Bomb was released in the second half of 2017, and belif was kind enough to send me a mini to try. I LOVED it! (not just because it was free, either!) One of my fave moisturizers is their Aqua Bomb, and the Eye Bomb is basically the same thing, concentrated for the eyes. It's light and hydrating, and plays very well underneath makeup. I need to buy a full size now that I've finished the mini.

This next product I was anxiously waiting for the majority of the year, as the brand started teasing it in early 2017. I finally got my hands on the Too Faced Peachy Mattes palette a few days early, as they did a VIB Rouge early release on the Sephora app in late August. I know Too Faced has been hit or miss lately, especially with their Peach collections, but this was a huge hit for me! The shades are right up my alley, they're pigmented, and they blend beautifully. I don't even find the scent overwhelming! The best part is that there are enough warm browns and neutral tones that it can be used year round, and bring the pinky peachy shades in during the spring and summer for some extra seasonal glam. It's also packaged nicely and works well for travel. I'm just really, really happy with this palette - I like it much more than the OG Sweet Peach palette.

I'm pretty sure I am not the only person who totally fell in love with the Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer in Fenty Glow (or Gloss Bomb for short!) I love everything about this - the shade, the sickeningly sweet scent, the applicator...the packaging is gorgeous but annoying to photograph sometimes. I pair this over lipsticks and lip liners (it looks especially good over the Bite pencil in shade 022!) and wear it on its own. The formula is comfortable and is not sticky, which is key for lip gloss. I really hope they do more "universal" shades (or any shades!) in this formula, because I will literally throw my hard earned dollars at Rihanna for them. I'm pretty sure I've used a significant amount of the gloss I purchased, and I will definitely repurchase as soon as I'm out!

I am all about green tea skincare. I am ESPECIALLY all about green tea skincare I can buy at Target, which was the case for the Glow Recipe x Whamisa Green Tea Serum Toner. This is a lightweight hydrating toner that is perfect for layering. I use it morning and night, usually applying my first layer with a cotton pad and then patting the next few layers in. It sinks in quickly and doesn't dry tacky. I find it helps with any redness in my skin along with providing lots of hydration. I'm about halfway through this bottle, and I can see myself repurchasing once this one is done.

It's really, really hard to choose an overall favorite from all of the releases of 2017. So I'm not going to! I use some of these products more than others, but I really am happy that I got ahold of each of them. I do plan on buying less in 2018 (and I'm even trying to use up $1,000 of product!) but I hope I get some new favorites over the coming year.

No comments:

Post a Comment