Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Recent Purchases

Since I happen to pick up one or two new items frequently, it would be really annoying to have constant "haul" posts. Instead, I like to have a Recent Purchases post every once in a while to show off all my new goodies! I've purchased these things over the past couple of months, and have some first impressions to share.



Right off the bat, I am going to admit that I almost always buy into new palette hype. The Too Faced Just Peachy Mattes palette had been teased for months, so I had mentally purchased it way in advance. Sephora had a preview sale for a few of the items from the exclusive to them Peach collection, so I was able to get the palette a couple of days early. Conversely, I waited on the Anastasia Beverly Hills Subculture palette. ABH's palette had a leak a few months earlier and I had been iffy on the shades. When ABH revealed the palette officially, I really liked the colors! However, I was apprehensive when the negative reviews from beauty influencers started to roll in. I did not buy this palette on release day, though I had originally intended to. I waited until it was available at Ulta and saw it for myself, and decided that it worked well enough for me.

I've used both palettes a few times, and I really like them! I am all about warm mattes, and the Just Peachy palette has created a number of looks for me so far - sometimes bringing in some shimmer shadows, sometimes just using the palette alone. Subculture is a little tricky to work with - the reviews saying a lot of powder is kicked up don't lie. However, I go in gentle with natural hair brushes, and have no other issues. There were claims of muddy blending between shades, and I have yet to have that happen to me.

If there is one thing I have too many of, it's lipsticks. (Also eyeshadow palettes. And highlighters.) Especially LIQUID lipsticks. But I am a huge Bite Beauty fangirl, so when they announced their new Amuse Bouche Liquified Lipsticks, I had to grab one - I picked the shade Braised. Bite has since expanded the shade range of this line, and I think I'll get another one or two of these. The descriptor "liquified lipstick" is accurate - this is not, and did not claim to be a matte liquid lipstick, which was the original assumption. This is more hydrating than a matte lipstick, which is a pleasant change. The lipstick has a bit of slip, but not horribly so. It does transfer, but it doesn't have a matte finish, so it's to be expected. I'm sure I'll do a full review in the future!

Another thing I love is mint colored everything. Dose of Colors announced a full mint themed collection, and I was all. over. it. I got three items from the collection - the Eyedeal Duo in Mint to Be, EyeDeal Crayon in Hint of Mint, and a liquid lip in the shade Mintea. (I also love tea, how could I resist??) I had always been interested in the EyeDeal duos, but nothing had really pushed me to get one until this collection. The shimmery powder is a little hard to work with due to fallout, but it looks gorgeous. I had happened to review a Dose liquid lipstick way back in the day, and found them horribly drying. I was willing to give them a second chance, and Mintea was not as drying as Purple Rain was. I'm unsure of the shade on me, though friends said it looked fine. I have yet to use the Hint of Mint crayon, but I have wonderful visions of easy minty inner eye corners topped with iridescent shadows.

Moving on to something not as new, Essence Make Me Brow has been on my list for a while! I really like Benefit's Gimme Brow, but not the $24 price tag. Make Me Brow is $3, and essentially the same thing. My Gimme Brow is almost done, and I'm excited to open this up! (Maybe I'll even find the time for a comparison post!)

I'm really glad I'm enjoying all my new purchases - nothing worse than items not living up to the hype! (I was worried about Subculture but I still really like it...and feel like an outcast for still enjoying it.) Here's hoping these don't fall out of favor for a good, long time.

No comments:

Post a Comment