Saturday, December 16, 2017

Sixteen92 You Who Swallowed A Falling Star perfume oil - Review

It's been a looooong time since I reviewed any indie perfume oils, and I have a backlog of them. I'm going to start with something from one of my favorite brands - Sixteen92! This was a limited edition scent, but bottles are always floating around on destash lists - hopefully this helps anyone who is undecided on if they want to try it!



You Who Swallowed A Falling Star is listed with notes of dark stone fruits, glowing embers, night rose, sweet sandalwood, plum blossom. From the bottle, it smells like a heavy floral with notes of amber and sandalwood. Wet on the skin, it opens up a little bit and becomes a bit more woody, with a heavy rose scent. As it dries down, the scent becomes a bit more fruity, but nothing very bright and prominent. I only kept it on for a little while, as the rose note became stronger and stronger, and I was not a fan of it. I didn't get as much of the stone fruit or plum blossom notes as I was hoping. Even after scrubbing at the area where I applied the perfume, the rose note stuck around on my skin. If you're a fan of a strong rose scent, this may be perfect for you.

A bit more on the background of this scent - it was originally released in AFK Cosmetics' Christmas in July Advent box back in 2016. The inspiration for this was Howl from the Studio Ghibli movie Howl's Moving Castle. I had read several reviews over on r/indiemakeupandmore likening this scent to Nest's Black Tulip, which is a favorite of mine. Sixteen92 re-released this scent in September of this year as a charity effort for Hurricane Harvey relief, so when I saw that it was available again, and for such a great cause, I decided to pick it up. Unfortunately, it smells nothing like Black Tulip to me, and will be headed into my destash pile. I don't feel bad about buying it blindly, as my money went on to people who really needed the help.

Pros:

  • Strong rose and sandalwood notes.
  • Scent sticks around after vigorous washing! (Good for when you wash your hands a lot, like me.)
Cons:
  • I am not a big sandalwood or rose fan, at least not these notes.
  • Stone fruit notes did not come through.


You Who Swallowed A Falling Star (Limited Edition) - $15 for 6mL
Review - 2/5

No comments:

Post a Comment