Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Corvus Cosmetics Haul and Swatches



So a few months ago I picked up my first few eyeshadows from Corvus Cosmetics. I originally swatched them right away, but I was having the worst swatching day of my life. So I set them aside to be dealt with another day - and that day is here! I picked up five eyeshadows from the Kinder-und Hausmärchen collection inspired by Grimm's Fairytales.



All of the swatches here were taken over bare skin, and then over primer. The primer I used was Too Faced Shadow Insurance.


Barely A Bite is a shade inspired by the tale of Snow White. The shade itself is an "apple red with a poisonous green shift." When swatched, the base shadow is more of a very warm brownish red. With no primer, there is a mass amount of green sparkle that falls out. Over primer, the green sparkles have something to cling to and form a green-gold shift. 


Named for Hansel and Gretel, Gingerbread Haus is a "matte tan with a complex indigo-purple-red shift." With no primer, the matte base is all I was able to get. Over primer, I am able to get some of the sparkle to stick and some of the shift to show up. I think that this shadow may be best over a stickier base than just a regular primer. Either that, or I had a bad swatch day with this one.


The infamous line of the Big Bad Wolf, The Better To Eat You With is an "antique silver with deep brown undertones," I'm assuming to play off the color of the wolf's fur coat. With no primer, the shade is a deep taupe brown with a hint of sparkle. Over primer, the silver comes into play with a very nice shift.


Nightingale is named for the story of the Nightingale and the Blindworm, a story that was actually new to me. The shade is a "mid-toned aubergine with subtle shimmer." The purple has a black base, which is very apparent when used with no primer. Over a primer, though, the shade performs much better, as the shimmery purple pigments stick around to show their stuff. 


He Was No Frog is named after The Frog King, a story that's a fair bit different from the story you usually hear, The Frog Prince. This shade is a "pastel blue-green with a gold shift." Over bare skin, it's a barely there pastel minty shade, with a satin finish, no glitter. Over primer, however, the shift picks up and the shade intensifies.

My favorite out of this batch was He Was No Frog, since I'm a sucker for greens (my favorite color!) I really like how The Better To Eat You With looked with no primer - it's really nice to see shades that can look good without the use of a primer or a sticky base. I think after swatching Nightingale I can say I'm not a fan of purples with a black base. I do like what I picked up though, and I have a couple more eyeshadows on the way!

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of Barely A Bite! I've been feeling rust-y oranges of late! :D

    ReplyDelete