Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Review - Lorac Mega Pro Palette

I was one of the lucky few to snag a Lorac Mega Pro when their site hiccuped on October 1st, showing the palettes as in stock and for sale a week early. It arrived right after I finished doing my makeup the day I left for NY Comic-Con, so I didn't get a chance to use it til I returned. Now that I'm back, I've gone ahead and tried it out, swatched it out, and taken some pictures!

The following photos were taken with no sort of eyeshadow base, everything is over bare skin. I made these swatches with a Hakuhodo G5523 BkSL brush, and all swatches were done dry.




Left side of the palette - neutrals

Right side of the palette - jewel tones

Top to Bottom - Cream, White, Opal, Vanilla

Fawn, Khaki, Sand, Cashmere

Camel, Brown, Copper, Smokey Topaz

Sepia, Stone, Sienna, Dusty Rose

Dusty Plum, Lilac, Apricot, Granite

Orchid, Wisteria, Blush, Maroon

Mulberry, Gray, Merlot, Deep Teal

Espresso, Black, Indigo, Caviar

The palette has a total of 32 shades, with a a few amazing performers and a couple of duds. Opal and Apricot really stood out to me, while Caviar, Black, and Deep Teal left a lot to be desired. I haven't had a chance to really play with every shade, but I was able to do an eye look and get an idea of how a few shades performed. When swatching, a few shades were a bit powdery, but this holds true for other Lorac Pro palettes as well, and it does not affect the pigmentation. Some of the shades need to be built up a little bit more, but all were very blendable. 

Although there is some variety in shades, there are a LOT of neutrals. Don't get me wrong, I love me some neutrals, and I understand that the collection this was released with had a 'royal' theme, but I feel there could have been a little bit more variety in shades. That being said, I feel that Lorac did a decent job in giving a variety of cool and warm toned neutrals. It's a bit disappointing to see that some of the jewel toned shades were the under performers, with Deep Teal swatching to look nothing like the shade in the pan. 

The packaging itself is extremely slim, with a very large mirror. The palette is light, meaning it';ll be nice for traveling, provided it is carefully packed - since the packaging is so thin, I do not believe it'll provide much protection for the shadows inside. Due to the assortment of shadows and split of mattes and shimmers, it'll make a great all in one palette for travel.

Pros:
  • 32 shades, 28 new & exclusive shades
  • Slim packaging
  • Blendable shadows
  • Matte and shimmer shades
  • Mix of cool and warm shades
Cons:
  • Patchy deeper shades
  • Limited edition, highly hyped
  • Mostly neutral shades
  • Somewhat powdery
Lorac Mega Pro Palette (Limited Edition) - $59.00 for 0.62 oz
Review - 3.5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment